Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Dysautonomia Aspect of POTS

POTS falls under the umbrella of Dysautonomia. Let's just break this down here. Dys-auto-nomia. It means dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system (ANS). We don't have to worry about making our heart beat or our lungs breathe. We don't have to concentrate on that because these functions are automatic. So, the autonomic nervous system is like an autopilot for our bodies. It makes changes within our bodies to keep us functioning. It controls our heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, body temperature, digestion, the way our pupils react to light, and so much more.

When our ANS fails or malfunctions, this is called Dysautonomia. POTS is like a subgroup underneath Dysautonomia. Other conditions include: inappropriate sinus tachycardia (IST), vasovagal syncope, mitral valve prolapse dysautonomia, neurocardiogenic syncope (NCS), neurally mediated hypotension (NMH), and others.

Many doctors are unaware of Dysautonomia. It is notoriously hard to diagnose because of the fact that the symptoms of the condition are vague, sometimes unusual, and can mimic other medical conditions. Most patients are told that "it's all in your head" or it's depression or anxiety. Dysautonomia is real though. It can make life pretty difficult too.

If you look at all of the functions the ANS does for your body, you can truly realize how many things could go wrong. Not being able to control a malfunctioning autopilot is a scary idea to thing about. The worst part of it all is that Dysautonomia is unpredictable. This is what makes POTS symptoms unpredictable too. One day you can do something, and then the next you can't. One day you're experiencing heart palpitations and dizziness, the next you can't control your body temperature or you're near passing out. Some days it's a little better. Some days it's a lot better. While other times it's worse. This is the frustrating part.

It is extremely difficult when you go from being a fully functioning member of society to someone who can't get out of bed in the mornings. This is because Dysautonomia takes away your independence. It's even harder when others do not understand what you are going through. Yes I would love to go to the movies or spend the day going clothes shopping. I would even love to be able to go visit people that I love without worrying about whether I'll be able to drive home.

Sometimes I can manage, but sometimes I can't. I may have to cancel things at the last minute or need to leave early from an event. Sometimes I can do these things, but no one can truly realize the aftermath of the things and events that I can do. I may not be able to string a sentence together, stand or walk in a straight line, or I may need to sleep for a week to recoup after doing simple things like drive, go shopping, or hang out with friends for the day.  

I do not want your pity. All that I ask is a little bit of understanding. With June 6th coming up, Invisible Illnesses need to be heard. All that I want you to gain is a realization that Dysautonomia and POTS do exist and they make life a challenge. Dysautonomia-- Say it. Remember it. Spread awareness.

1 comment:

  1. I got this ѕіte from mу pal who told me
    on the toрiс of this wеb page and at the moment this time I am vіѕіting this sitе
    and гeаding verу infoгmаtivе artісles at this time.


    Feel free to visit my blοg - cheap party pills ()

    ReplyDelete