Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Having POTS makes me feel like I'm 90 years old

If I were to describe what POTS does to me, without you knowing that I graduated from high school within the last 5 years, you might come to the conclusion that I am an elderly woman...

This is because:

- I forget what day it is. I forget names and places. I repeat the same story over and over again. And, I forget where I parked the car.


- I practically live at the doctors. The doctors and nurses know me by name without looking at my chart. Even some of the other staff recognize me. There was a point in time when I was going to get blood work and other tests done so often that I saw the same faces in the waiting room time and time again.

- I have a medication tote, not a box or a container, because I have to take so many medications. I have a dose box that has the days of the week spelled out and has separate boxes for the morning, afternoon, evening, and night.

- It takes me a lot while to get out of bed in the mornings and I can't do strenuous activities because of joint and muscle pains and I become winded easily. 

- I have very weak muscles and have been to physical therapy to strengthen my muscles and joints. I had also done physical therapy activities in the warm and shallow pool when older ladies had their water aerobics class.

- I do not have a strong immune system so I have to get the flu shot every year.

- I own compression socks and have worn them countless times. Not exactly the hottest style, but it did give me some relief in the past. 

**Please excuse my silliness if I offended anyone with this post. My only intention is to help people understand the effects of POTS.** 

No comments:

Post a Comment