Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mayo Trip Part 1

Well, along with my mom, I'm at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN right now. I'm laying in this really nice comfy bed with my laptop on my lap and I'm just exhausted. We just got back from eating dinner at Olive Garden. Don't get me wrong, I love Olive Garden's food, but all that I wanted all day was sleep. Yesterday evening we arrived here in Rochester. I had to stop taking my Midodrine and Nadolol  (2 POTS medications) yesterday because I will be having another tilt-table test done tomorrow morning. The meds help to counter some of my POTS symptoms, so now I'm not getting enough oxygen. And this leaves me super fatigued and sleepy.

It is difficult to carry out conversations because my words do not come out easily. I can't form my words or get my ideas across. My mom is constantly asking me to repeat myself because she doesn't understand what I'm saying, which takes even more energy out of me. It is frustrating. I have to focus a lot on my breathing so that I can get as much oxygen in my system as I can. I am experiencing a little more tremulousness than normal, which is expected also because this is another POTS symptom. Headaches and brain fogging are more prominent now too.

I'm toughing it out as much as I can. It's just very hard to have these symptoms that I haven't experienced in a long time. I haven't had very many headaches or days when I just can't physically do anything. I feel like a ragdoll because I just can't do anything and I'm so weak. Such a difference from yesterday or this morning because I was able to walk around for almost 3 hours just window shopping with my mom. We walked at a very slow pace, but I was still able to be on my feet for that long in the morning! Afterwards, though, we came back to the room and I felt exhausted as if I just ran 3 marathon races. I wanted so badly to go to sleep, but I knew I would be asleep for the rest of the day if I fell asleep! Ha ha! So since about 3 in the afternoon my energy level has plummeted. I'm running on empty and it's not even 9 o'clock!

Oh well...another busy day tomorrow so that's why I am splitting this post into 2 parts. Mayo Trip Part 1 was today. I'm always hoping for a better tomorrow whether I'm at Mayo or not :)

No comments:

Post a Comment